Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Four continents in one digs !

Hey,
I cannot imagine what it must be liked to live with three other literally foreign students! I am the only girl living with eight other guys in my digs in Grahamstown, South Africa. It is rough at times – to say the least… and they are ALL South African even. At least we all share a similar culture. Although there is always culture within culture isn’t there? Peoples backgrounds are really vast in South Africa. I suppose that’s why we are called the “Rainbow Nation!”
I must admit that there are aspects of living amongst eight boys that I do enjoy. Not at all what you’re thinking!! Safety is an issue here in SA, so I do enjoy sleeping soundly at night knowing that one of the guys will take care of anything that might go wrong.
One solution to a problem I see you have with your people is to get a nanny in maybe once a week? We all chip in R10 on a Tuesday and Tracey comes in to mop floors, wash dishes, scrub the bathroom and generally pretty the place up a bit. As you can imagine, there are not too many feminine looking things around our digs! Our place looks like a golf course or recreational centre some days, other days likehttp://relm,evolution&ideocracy.blogspot.com/ a laundry mat and sometimes (most times), the place looks like a nightclub/rubbish dump!
How long have you been living in your digs for? This is my first year. I am studying Journalism and that is the reason that I did a search and came across your blog. You might want to check ours out. We are a group of four Journalism students at Rhodes University (http://www.ru.ac.za/). Check out our blog at http://digmyrez.blogspot.com/
Good Luck with exams if you are writing!
Cheers,
Michelle

No comments: