Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bathroom Blues


Some of the most irritating moments for me at res occur from the bathroom. Early in the mornings I would prepare to shower so I could attend early tutorials or lectures, but the showers would always be full. There has been a time where a queue for the showers developed, and with my reluctance to leave res without washing, and also due to navigating the grime inside the showers, I have been late for numerous early morning lectures.

There are also individuals at res who like to test their vocal abilities or inabilities in the shower. My room is at the far end of the bathroom at res, but I continuously hear the same voice glorifying his mood in the shower through his singing. There have also been occasions when I would also be showering in the same time as him, and with his crackling voice, I would be tempted to open up in song to cover up his punishing singing. My awareness of my inability to sing has prevented me from doing so.

I have also come across some ghastly scenes in the bathroom. Once I was about to brush my teeth when I crossed a sink filled with gag. I assume that it was a drunkard who decided to throw up in a bathroom sink, as there was no effort made to drain it. Issues of men URINATING in bathroom sinks have also been raised at res, and this raises a perception of people being insensitive to their res mates on certain issues relating to hygiene.

Female students who sleep in at my res have also caused quite a stir amongst the gentlemen there. Since the guest bathroom is located next to the downstairs common room, which is the more populated of the two common rooms at res, the ladies would have to pass us before getting to their destination at the bathroom. I have seen awkwardness on their faces as they pass a testosterone infested room, and have been part of the silent laughter the guys would have thereafter.

Just as the common room is the cloud of all emotions, the bathroom is the steaming and boiling of all emotions at res.

Mpondz

1 comment:

Chwayitisa said...

Lol so this is what boys get up to in the bathroom. Finally the age old mystery has been solved, boys sing in the bathroom while men complain about it. I love the sensitivity that you have towards the female students that visit your res, is that a personal plea I hear to leave the embarrassed females alone. I say they should just grit their teeth and laugh AT the childish little boys that varsity still mananages to breed.

Le Dulce Vita
Futch