Thursday, October 23, 2008

Falling off my seat in stitches

Exams are just two weeks away, and I have tried my best to relax my mind, and embrace the bouncy wall of studying. I have been sprung by an infectious emotion, one which is enriching, and has eased my mind towards the coming few weeks.

It is said that laughter heals stress, and I have come to find that out in a week in which I have been my most bubbly self. The thrill of laughter, which had been in short supply for me through this term with the storm of assignments which have come my way and other unfortunate occurences, has invigorated me, and emphatically reinstated the true essence of my character which is filled up with positivity.

Throughout the term I felt like a gnome. My smile was empty, as I was not really happy. I was stressing and felt little emotion and connectiveness to my surroundings. Slowly, as the term progressed, I felt I was going through a regressive phase. A phase similar to a butterfly going into a cacoon and becoming a moth again. In my case, my cacoon was my bed and work. I felt no joy in doing my work anymore, and for the first time, I questioned the sanity of me attending university.

I refer back to an earlier post, where I mentioned that res events tend to
"de-stress" me. This happened once again, as I maintain that the Adamson (yes, that's my res) Leaver's Dinner brought about a change in my mentality. For once, I forgot all about the books and had fun. I partied, and despite waking up heavy-headed, I felt joy once more. My happy mood prolonged for days, and eventually, I was happy again.

It would make me seem like a victim, to attribute my reinvigorance to that one night, but I wasn't, as I allowed my true character to resurface, and I welcomed it with an open heart.

Laughter has played a significant role in me remaining stress-free ever since. I located one of my favourite childhood satirical comedies, Mind Your Language, and watching it before my bedtime, has kept me in stiches. I also came across a most humourous episode which occured on national television, where a senior politician fell off a chair during a live interview. That has to rank among the funniest moments in the history of South Afican television. (Watch it please!)

I am happy, ambitious, determined, and willing once again, and I attribute all this to me enjoying life again, and ofcourse, the most fulfilling emotion of all, laughing!

Mpondz

No comments: